Sunday, March 24, 2013

Goodbye

Four years. in Thailand.
As I prepare to leave on Friday, there is so much that I will remember and cherish: 

The sights -- orchids, the golden temples; the turquoise, aqua, deep blue, green and gray shades of the sea; the world's largest flower in a jungle on the mountainside; the coral gardens and the outrageous colors of fish; the silhouette of palms framing the full moon; 

The smells - jasmine, curries, dried fish, durian (not!); incense at the temples


 The sounds -- Thai people's laughter; the call to prayer drifting up the mountain; the monks monotone chanting at dusk; roosters; the tokay lizard's distinctive call in the night; the waves soft rhythmic crashing; the sudden torrential downpours and the din of the raucous insects afterwards; the Thai national anthem; the cry of the gibbon heralding rain; the sound of the language that I learned (at least for the basics), and the happy greeting Sawasdeekahhhh!

The tastes - the salt of the sea; curries, mangosteen and juicy mangoes; fresh coconut water; spicy chilies!!!!; Thai tea (chah yen) 


The touch  - Thai massage; bare feet on soft sand like fine powder;
kids' hugs; the comfortable evening breeze; the sun shining on my face as I float in the warm water


The kindness.

 
Mai Bpen Rai (never mind) and "you think too much"


This blog has been a journal, trying to capture something of all that it has been.


The students are the reason I came, so what they have to say can close this Thailand chapter..

I am honored and humbled beyond measure to be called their dream teacher.
Confetti to send me off






They gave me so much more than I ever could have imagined, and I am grateful.