Friday, August 20, 2010

A Little of This and That - Thai Alumni from my High School; Local Scenes; and Photos at School

A gathering with the headmaster (woman seated, center) and some of the Storm King School alumni (my high school in New York) in Bangkok in March.







Just another drive in Phuket "Why do the water buffaloes cross the road?"

























And speaking of why.... why is there this image of a guy smoking (an attendant keeps his cigs lit) at the famous and glorious Wat (Buddhist Temple) Chalong? My Thai friend did not know.

The Buddha images above are in the main building at Wat Chalong.





At Sports Day at school with my 3rd grade student, Mak.
The students often run barefooted.
Despite my protests that the other teachers were much younger than I, they had me join the teacher's relay (I did not run barefooted).

















The photos below are of Mother's Day (the Queen's birthday in August) and Teacher's Day.

My student chose to come to me on his knees to show respect and thank me on Mother's Day.
Each year for Teacher's Day, the students file up to rows of seated teachers and come to us on their knees to present flowers. There are also contests for each grade in which they create elaborate flower arrangements (on the table in the background).





These days are very sweet times.