Monday, May 5, 2014

Asia, April/May '14

 
 
TOKYO 

Ramen Noodle soup Tokyo style. a sumo wrestling ring, and a beautiful plate

 

SEOUL

Yellow curry and veggies




Palace Secret Garden, Seoul


 

Bongeunsa Temple was constructed in 794 and refurbished in 1498.


Prayers - after the capsizing of the ferry in S. Korea

 

 BEIJING

The Forbidden City


Forbidden City door - 9 rows of 9


After so much walking, Penny and I toured the hutong alleys formed by the walls of siheyuan, traditional courtyard residences.. 
 
700 years of people walking through these doors



 


The Summer Palace outside Beijing
 

Lynn, the Chairman, and Penny
The GREAT Wall! 


Our guide said that this man is an institution.  78 years old,
he has been sitting here for decades.
Fiona, from Northern Ireland, and me - the only two on the tour,
and the only ones on the wall most of those two tiring days.
SHANGHAI 
Shanghai from the Bund
 

                 and THAILAND

Koh Racha
 

 
 
 
Visiting my home temple, surprising my friend Catherine there, and a warm welcome by the monks.  Despite his serious demeanor, this monk spoke to me a lot, gave me a gold Buddha for a necklace, and gave me a handful of blessed bracelets and Buddha images to take to my family and friends in America.

Arigatou

kamsahamnida

Xie xie (shi shia

Korp khun kaa