Thursday, March 15, 2012

Saying Goodbyes

I didn’t sign a contract for a fourth year with the Foundation to teach at the school in Kamala, Phuket, despite the fact that leaving my students was so difficult.   

Sometimes it is clear that it is time for change, even without knowing what the change will be.

The last week of teaching was emotional and teary.  Lots of goodbyes.

“Mai yak Teacher Lynn glap bpai A-mer-ee-kah!  (Would not like T. Lynn to go back to America!)”
These second graders are smart, and full of energy and often mischief.  I really enjoyed teaching them.  They learned quickly and can speak and understand more English than many high school students here.   After my last class with these 2nd graders, several of the children clung on to me in a hug, tearfully, and wouldn’t let go.  
From Oh (a boy I barely know), age 15, on a banner I had for signatures and messages
These boys made this Lego creation very secretively until they finished and unveiled it..
My last Coconut Club

Wonderful staff and volunteers, March 2012
That last week, I heard my name called from around the school grounds often.   The word got out that I am going to America.  My sixth grade girls gave me roses and others gave me cards and notes.  Many children asked for my phone number.  They said they were sad.  More hugs and some tears.  I promised that I would come back to visit them. 











I will miss Kamala and the community.

I will miss my very first friend in Thailand, Tao, who has a bookshop and alterations business.  She has been there when I needed her (to translate with my landlord and my mechanic when the wheel fell off my car "Racing Boy") and we shared so many good times: sitting in her shop and talkin; eating vegetarian food; feeding dogs, fish and elephants; going to temples; watching football; and celebrating birthdays. 

Catherine is the other Thai whom I met early on when I was walking one day and she stopped and offered me a ride.     
She calls me “darling”, and I call her “puean jaa (dear friend)”, and we work at the temple together (she does a lot and I do a tiny bit) to help the monks. 
I have had the pleasure to say lots of goodbyes and thank yous to so many people - dear friends, vendors in town, community people that smiled and said greeted me.


It has been great!

On to what’s next